Thursday, February 7, 2013

i managed to put on (clean) clothes

so far this week i've managed to put together, & wear, 3 outfits.

in case you don't know what an outfit is (because i didn't- i had to google it), it's articles of real clothing (ie: not dirty jeans & twice worn Target t-shirts, socks with holes & your trusty fleece jacket) that you put actual thought into before adoring your birthday suit with them. they tend to be things that match, or at least compliment each other in some resemblance of fashion from this decade.

sounds exhausting, right? i agree. in fact, the amount of energy i've put into this (for 3 whole days) gives me a whole new respect for the large handful of fashionable mom bloggers that i follow (ie: dress vicariously though). it very well may come easy to them- but i cannot claim the same dressing ease. oh no. no i cannot.

but i digress. i'm on this photo board & one of the ladies on said photo board has challenged herself to wearing 30 outfits in 30 days. that means 30 outfits made out of 30 different articles of clothing. as in, she can't wear the same thing twice. as in, she has to make a conscious effort to get dressed every day.
when she said she was doing this i laughed in my head. then i got concerned because i actually thought she might be crazy- i made a mental note to speak with her & gently suggest therapy...or meds.

i kid. i actually just though, "huh, that sounds cool but REALLY exhausting & i'm currently wearing crotch ripped jeans & a t-shirt with armpit stains...." yes, i'm pretty sure i was wearing exactly that. & no socks. in 13 degree weather. why? because i had no clean matching socks. don't judge my life.

any.way. this week (on tuesday, because mondays really are soul sucking) i decided to try my hand at her challenge. sort of. there is NO way i can come up with 30 different outfits. because, frankly, i don't have that many clothes. that fit. or that are socially acceptable to wear in 2013...but i can at least attempt to make myself look presentable a few times per week. or maybe even for a whole week...reach for the stars, right?

so far, here's what i've come up with:

tuesday
wednesday
thursday

(instagram: @lookatthebirds)

ta da!

i don't expect anyone to come banging down my door & asking where i acquired certain articles of clothing because none of these pieces are revolutionary- but chances are, most of them can be found at Target & small expensive boutiques. JOKES. just Target...& maybe....yeah, Target. 

i think the most challenging thing will be dressing a growing belly while owning zero maternity clothing. that's right- zero. i did it with brynn (& by did it i mean got by wearing dresses, shorts & yoga pants) but i was pregnant all spring/summer & fall. so it was warm. right now, it's effing cold. i believe the saying is, "colder than a witch's tit." 
that's actually pretty crass. sorry. 
it's just cold. so i'm forced to wear pants (unbuttoned & attached with a hair band) & long sleeves. i actually think i'll be ok if i can find longer shirts- because i'm pretty sure i've flashed more than my fair share of people with my unzipped pants look. sorry fellow Target shoppers. 

(i did buy a pair of maternity jeans at the Gap- but they looked weird on me- so i'm taking them back. they were weirdly loose & not at all "totally skinny" as they stated on the label. liars. actually- if anyone can suggest some awesome (reasonably priced) maternity jeans that are ACTUALLY skinny & come in sizes made for really short people, i'd be pumped.)

...the other challenging thing? craving & eating all of this:

yeah- i really like cake.


moderation, when? eat a salad, who? i've gained how much weight, what? i have to stop eating cake, why?

hmmm. ok. so that's my new goal. getting dressed. i actually feel like my goals should be a bit more lofty, like having more patience, making healthier dinners & possibly mopping my floors more than once a month- but you have to start somewhere- am i right?

let me end this on a few random notes. 
- i got my yearly haircut today (you laugh, but it's the sad truth. a $16 wash & cut from Hair Cuttery is my jam) & the lady cutting my hair looked at me and said, "you know, we offer eyebrow waxing too..." hint hint. NINJA CHOP YOUR MOUTH!
- we're expecting around 2+ feet of snow this fri/sat. i'm not amused.
- this little guy (or gal) has been visiting our porch all week:

all your trash is belongs to me.

brynn called it a "little mouse"- how precious. 
Pin It!

6 comments:

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Oh, I just bought some Gap maternity jeans too. And then I saw a picture of butt in them. And I gagged.

So, I am giving them to a friend.

BUT, I had bought a size 2, and I just ordered a Size 00 - 24 (Gap Super Skinny) And they are much better.

Not sure what size you got, but maybe look into other sizes. The Gap seems to have the most comfy maternity jeans...the other brands I've tried are tons worse.

third said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

@Caroline- ok i'll try again. i bought a size 4 so maybe if i try a 2...?
that seem hilarious to me because in no way am i a size 2. lol.

Anonymous said...

Sooo holy shit i feel like an asshole......i just found your email after sorting through my inbox...the one from back in September about the day pics! HA! well...no worries because our pics totally turned out like crap.....no one wanted to let me photograph them that day:(

Anywho OMG OMG OMG your are having baby#3..yahooo! I hope i get our #3 soon too!

BTW

size down in gap jeans...im normallyanywhere from a 4 to a 7 depending on the brand...and i can only get size 2 in gap sometimes even 0

Mrs. Beer said...

Haha your blog is funnyyyyy. I like it and you're cute! Im into the aztec-y sweater jacket thingy btw. It's sorta awesome and I've definitely never seen it at Target! Ok bye!

Unknown said...

@Erica- quite alright! & OMG YAY- fingers crossed for baby#3!

@Mrs.Beer- ok, how many people bow to you with that last name? amazing.
that sweater was a paizlee find & one of my few non Target items- i adore it! gracias!